Saturday, March 21, 2009

Doughnut Distractions

Well, since it was chick week, and the modern schools were taking a break, we decided it a good distraction week. My daughter LOVES homemade doughnuts, and so I finally gave in and bought some stuff to make them. We don't do doughnuts often, probably less than once a year. One reason is my general disdain for the use of shortening. I guess expeller coconut oil would work, but it would cost $20 or so for the right amount of coconut oil to fill the dutch oven to fry a couple batches of doughnuts.



The recipe is one that has been passed down from my grandmother, so is my daughter's great grandmother's. I love using old family recipes. The often don't rely on modern convenience ingredients, and that is wonderful. The old world taste is still all there too, many times lacking the massive quantities of sugar in modern recipes. I don't know how old this recipe is, since I never ask Grammy. She may have just gotten it from one of the cookbooks of her day, wonderful as they were. Here is the recipe with a change I have made - I added 1/2 tsp of baking powder to make the cake donut a little lighter.

¼ C butter ¼ tsp salt

1¼ C sugar 1½ tsp vanilla

2 eggs, beaten well 1½ squares chocolate, melted
1 C sour milk (Note 10) (or use ½ C cocoa) We use cocoa
4 C all purpose flour 1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Glaze (below) optional
Coconut (optional)

Cream butter and add sugar gradually while beating constantly. Then add eggs, chocolate, sour milk. Mix thoroughly.

Add flour mixed and sifted with baking soda, powder and salt.

Add vanilla and enough flour to handle mixture. Roll on floured surface to ¾ inch thick. Shape into doughnuts using doughnut cutter or making into twists, wreaths, whatever shape you desire.

Fry in hot oil, about 375°. (Cast iron Dutch oven is good for this). It takes about 6 minutes to fry the doughnuts. We actually roll them a little thinner too, probably 1/2 inch at most.

If desired you can glaze while still warm. Also, you can make chocolate coconut doughnuts by glazing, and before glaze sets rolling in coconut.

Glaze:

Mix 3 cups powdered sugar and ½ cup boiling water until smooth.

I hope the pictures are okay. I'm trying to remember to take pictures and add them, but am not a very good photographer, or very artistic. Bear with me :-)

2 comments:

Walter Jeffries said...

Yumm! Donuts. That reminds me that I haven't made any this year. Our kids were asking about them not long ago.

Over on my blog post about Boar Taint vaccinations you mentioned that with some bacon it smells bad and others not. Identify the lines of pigs where the frying fat smells bad vs good and you are well on the way to figuring out how to breed your own taint free pigs. Once you've done that you can avoid the castration and vaccine. That's what we did and now we have a a taint free herd.

Cheers,

-Walter
Sugar Mtn Farm

Zambini said...

Thanks Walter. So far, our pig raising experience is of ferrel hogs. We've gotten no boar taint from those. It is the bacon I buy in the store that causes me trouble. But, good to know, as my husband still wants to do pigs when we sell this farm and get another.