Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wireless or Landline, interesting study

Oklahoma Leads in Wireless-Only Households - Wireless-Only Growing On Map

Boy, have I been waiting 10 years for this lovely headline!!! Yes, it is lovely. I tried, as have many Oklahomans, to support the local phone companies. Unfortunately, many in real states don't understand what is happening here. You see, it cost me $25 to have my landline, monthly. Then, if I wanted to use my landline I could either pay another $30 for instate calls, or I could pay by phone call for long distance charges. You wonder what the big deal is? Many people incur long distance charges and don't mind. Well, do you incur long distance charges to call your nearest neighbor? Your child's school? You spouse's workplace? The local hospital? The local WalMart, grocery store, post office, etc? Yes, I am being serious. You can call one exchange for free, and in rural Oklahoma that means absolutely nothing, since the local exchange may or may not contain your emergency services, schools or even post office. I complained. I wrote my representatives, the Corporation Commission, all those people. Their response was always, "Your local telephone company has the lowest base charges in the nation, you should be very proud of them." Oh, yes, I bowed to the phone in worship every time I passed it. I bought a calling card and dialed a zillion numbers every time I made a call, even put the numbers in speed dial, to try to save a few pennies and be able to use that cheap phone.

Finally, one day, when I was more than usually frustrated with having to pay $25 to look at the phone and another $25 a month for internet dial-up because I couldn't call any of the free or cheap internet service numbers for free (long distance charges for any but the local phone company's internet service), it struck me. How about I check into cell service and satellite internet. So, I did. Well, a bit of number crunching led me to realize I could have phones with all of us anywhere for one price, high-speed internet service, and call anyone I want any time, while limiting access to us by those bothersome telemarketers for the SAME price I was paying for slow internet and the right to only look at the phone. YEAH!

So, that is what we did. We became one of the 1 in 4 households in Oklahoma who stopped using a landline, much to the dismay of our local phone company. See, they gave me the idea really. I was just a bit dense. I'd been receiving letters from them for months telling me not to give up my landline for a cell phone and listing all the reasons I shouldn't. You know, all those reasons were from the perspective that the landline was any use at all - that I could use it for that $25 flat fee. I don't know what planet the person writing those letters was from, but they obviously had never had to try to use the local phone service to call anyone or they would have known it cost them per call, just as they said cell phone service would. They talked about not being able to access 911, but our county was one of the first in the state to have cell coverage for 911. They talked about dropped signals, but the company I chose has amazing coverage that never drops a call if you know which phone to buy. They talked about how it would cost me to call long-distance - HUH? Cell phone plans include free long distance. So, they had me convinced. I dropped the landline.

Now, I'm gratified to see all the begging and pleading in the world has not overcome common sense. In our adventure in lifestyle, rural community living, one modern convenience is still heads and shoulders above the old way. So, if I call you from the wood shed, or chicken coop, or while I'm curled up warming myself by the wood cook stove, know that this adventure includes common sense not just hard work.

2 comments:

Walter Jeffries said...

Ah, you are lucky. We have a cell tower, just around the mountain. No coverage here. If I stand on top of a rock table I put on the edge of the cliff by the upper pond and reach way out I can get one bar. :)

For our land line I laid a mile and a half of cable. That only costs $61/month before making calls. But, we do have aDSL now, although technically we're too far away, so I try hard not to complain. While we are too far it still does work, just slightly slower than theoretical. The speed is much nicer than the 14.4KBaud which is all we could get before over the modem.

I had considered satellite and was almost going to do it when our local little phone company put in aDSL. But, the mountains block the satellite. Probably just as well since I have heard a lot of trouble with them.

My other alternative was I considered buying a piece of land in the outskirts of the city and running my own WiFi network from the top of our mountain to that. I found systems that would go tens of miles. The hesitation there is we get a lot of lightning with the copper vein that runs under the area. That could prove interesting if I stick a metal pole up in the air... :}

Over on my Sugar Mountain Farm blog on the big bucket plow post you had mentioned not heading north and east due to the cold and snow. The good news is the winters kill the alligators and all but the toughest politicians. :)

Cheers,

-Walter

Zambini said...

That possibility of DSL came to us too late, and yes, we are not in the right area either. Neighbors who just moved in had to fight to get it. Old phone lines in rural OK make it impossible for half the landline users to subscribe to DSL. I'm thankful that in our little piece of Ozarks, we are on the shelf, so we are high enough to get satellite and cell reception. My sister who is also in the Ozarks, can't even get television.